- Soak the raisins in water. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add the milk and mix to make a thick batter.
- Separate the eggs. Whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Stir the egg yolks into the batter. Fold the batter into the egg whites.
- Melt some clarified butter in one large frying pan or two small ones. Pour the batter into the frying pan. Drain the raisins. Sprinkle the raisins and sliced almonds over the batter. Reduce the heat and fry the pancake for about 10 minutes or until it is golden-brown underneath. Cover the frying pan if needed. Carefully turn the pancake over and fry the second side until it, too, is golden-brown.
- Remove the frying pan from the stove. Using two forks, tear apart the pancake into bite-sized pieces. Dust the pieces generously with confectioner’s sugar and return the frying pan to the stove. Caramelize the sugar over a moderate heat, turning the pancake pieces often.
- Portion out onto four plates and dust with confectioner’s sugar. Serve with lingonberry or cranberry compote.
Tip: Apple sauce (see p. 108) or plum compote also taste very good served with Kaiserschmarrn.
Download the recipe
Get the complete Biergarten Cookbook with a lots of further fantastic Bavarian recipes for the summer at the DK Publishing.