- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Scrub the potatoes thoroughly, prick them, and wrap each one in a sheet of aluminum foil. Place the potatoes on an oven rack in the middle of the oven and bake them for about 1 hour until they are done.
- Wash the parsley and chives and chop them finely. Wash the arugula and chop it coarsely. Wash the chives and chop them finely.
- Mix together the quark or sour cream, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the herbs and season the quark or sour cream with salt and pepper. Cut the ham and smoked salmon into strips.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. Cut a deep cross into the top of each potato, through the aluminum foil. Using oven gloves and both hands, hold a potato and push towards the middle to open it up.
- Fill the baked potatoes with the herb mixture and place strips of ham or smoked salmon on the top. Serve baked potatoes as a side dish for steak and onions (see p. 87) or spare ribs (see p. 83) or as a main meal with a mixed salad on the side.
Tip: Instead of ham and smoked salmon, you can use fried diced bacon or fried smoked tofu, hopped eggs, roasted pumpkin seeds, diced tomatoes, poached or fried shrimps, or pieces of smoked trout fillet. And of course, baked potatoes taste very good with just a herb topping, or sour cream or quark seasoned with salt and pepper.
Download the recipe
Get the complete Biergarten Cookbook with a lots of further fantastic Bavarian recipes for the summer at the DK Publishing.